Friday, August 24, 2007

The kids are all right

I've just finished my first full week ever as a teacher in the midst of Sudan's
  • worst flooding in 20 years
  • . We had a massive rainstorm on Monday around 2 p.m., just as school let out for the day, and parts of campus are still covered in inches of water. Khartoum is completely flat, the Nile is at its highest right now, and Khartoum's infrastructure is, uh, not that great, so there is no place for all the extra water to go. Apparently even some of our school guards have lost their homes in the flooding. I myself have only had to "suffer" some dirty water on the floor and in my sink and, yesterday, a smashed window in the 4th-floor laundry room during yet another rainstorm. (Good thing I didn't go up there to view the storm!)

    The rundown on my job: there are about 30 teachers at my school, and I am part of a 5-teacher middle school team. I teach 5th/6th grade English (plus a high school journalism elective), my colleague teaches 7th/8th grade English (and high school electives), and there is one teacher each for middle school math, science and social studies. Yes: my colleagues teach grades 5-8 every day, one class per grade!

    My students are from all over the world, and I actually do not teach any white Americans, my own demographic and the one predominant in the places I grew up and went to college. Instead, my students represent a delightful mix of cultures and ethnicities: Sudanese, Sudanese-American, German-Sudanese, Dutch-German, Dutch-Korean, British-Sri Lankan, Korean, Chinese, Indian and Afghan. The downside for me as a new language arts teacher is my students' wide range of English language ability. Some are native speakers while others have only recently attended ESL classes. When I asked my 6th graders what made good writing, they responded not with "exciting details" and "juicy words" (as my 5th graders did) but "spelling," "good grammar," "punctuation" and "correct verbs." So I see my (monumental) challenge this year as making English less of a source of rules and anxiety and more about accessibility and creativity and FUN.

    My weekend plans: $12 Thai massage this afternoon, get government-mandated HIV test tomorrow morning (fun!...not), go to gym, attempt to enroll in Arabic language classes. Between planning for school, lacking a car, the difficult travel in Khartoum after the rains and the generally remote location of my apartment, it's hard to get much done around here after school hours. I have to keep reminding myself that I have the entire year to take language classes and explore, but I am impatient.

    Cloudy and humid in Khartoum,

    Charlotte

    Labels: , , , , ,

    4 Comments:

    At August 24, 2007 at 5:33 PM , Blogger kelly said...

    C.N., very delightful to read about your experiences in Khartoum, simultaneously exploring the delights of adulthood (curtains? cost of food?) and of teaching. Look forward to reading more in the future. ~K.B.

     
    At August 24, 2007 at 5:39 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hey Char-char!!!
    Isn't teaching crazy?? This is why we have summers off, because it is a SUPER hard, time-consuming job during the year! But it sounds like you have a great situation to get somewhere with... very difficult, but lots of potential and opportunity, especially for those kids! We'll have to discuss what it's like working with students so different from students we've known all our lives. No white, all black, hispanic, international, many different levels together, etc. Hey, my mom gave me a ton of English books for like 6th grade and up last year because I had to teach 6th grade extra help English classes every morning in Brooklyn, maybe they could help you? I don't need them anymore since I got a NEW JOB teaching ONLY band (on Long Island, but not white-Long Island, so woo)!!! Yay!
    Anyway, this is getting long, so I'll cut it, but you go enjoy the rain some more... bye

     
    At August 25, 2007 at 1:00 PM , Blogger karly said...

    enjoy! sounds like teaching is off to as good of start as expected. what is in khartoum to see?

     
    At September 1, 2007 at 2:17 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Now a moment to respond. The daughter of a teacher in our school district just went to work for Teach for America in Memphis, TN. She has a self-contained (all subjects) classroom of high school students (about 20) with special needs. She was handed a box of chalk and some paper (I think). How are your supplies? I still have not rustled up any lessons, but what would you think about starting email correspondence with some Flint, Michigan 5th graders? A great thing for ESL sudents! Well, now I am off to enjoy my Labor Day weekend. Two days of work and five days off...I could do this!!! Love you, Mom

     

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home